From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of McMillan, Mhairi (Library)
Sent: 21 January 2009 15:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LIS-MEDICAL] FW: Paper journal subs - problems?

Hi,

I have to say that we have had a face to face meeting with our rep from the agent and it really hasn’t made much difference. We have had to give up on titles because their supply was so erratic.

Does anyone order any of their journals direct from the publisher themselves?  How does that compare?

Given the recent additional cost of items from the States (we have just been asked for an extra £4,000 because of the value of sterling against the dollar) and the amount of usage they get…… I do wonder if we can justify the huge amounts some of the titles cost nowadays, especially if they are available through our respective national electronic libraries.

With Regards,

Mhairi McMillan
Knowledge Services Manager
The Library

Ayr Hospital

Tel 01292 610555 ext 14179

The library comes to you - http://shelcat.org

Search - renew - reserve - request - all from your desktop. Register at your local library to obtain a reader card and PIN code.

Visit our new library site on the intranet at http://athena/kmeh/kmeh/library

The Library Service is part of the Directorate of Information and Clinical Support Services.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, or take any action or place  reliance on it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender.  Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.