I had problems with a particular publisher (American with a European
office) who said that they had been sending the journal and that it must
have been mislaid by the hospital. We're a small hospital with a small
post room and it would be very unlikely that every issue of a journal
would be siphoned off by someone.

Our subscription agent tried hard to get copies of the journal for us.
We were even given the telephone number of their contact in the
publisher in Germany. The americans kept telling us that they'd sent the
journal to the correct address. We spoke to the publisher in Germany &
in the end they managed to get the US office to send copies to the
European office & they forwarded them on to us.

The back issues eventually arrived and, touch wood, we've had no
problems since.

I felt very well supported by the subscription agent who took up the
cudgels on our behalf, but find that the quality of service varies
depending upon who has been allocated to look after my account. Also,
they seem to have frequent personnel changes and don't always pass on
relevant information to their successor.

I find that the subscription agent has been very helpful, has set up
electronic access via Athens for me with some publishers (where current
year full text online is included in the subscription) at no extra cost
to me. A few years ago I changed from one of the agents to the other on
the grounds of cost and have been happy with the service I receive.

The moral of the story is - BE PERSISTENT - I think.

Tricia Rey
Library Services Manager
Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
East Grinstead
Tel: 01342 414266
Mailto:[log in to unmask]