YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND: IMPROVING THE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE

CAREER DEVELOPMENT GROUP UK NATIONAL CONFERENCE 2009

Liverpool John Moores University, Monday 20th April 2009, 10.00 am - 4.00 pm

We all want to serve our customers and to meet their needs. But is there room for improvement? Have we become complacent? What can we do to transform our services and make them truly reader-friendly and customer-focused? This event is aimed at library and information workers in any sector and at any level, whether you work directly in frontline customer services or whether you have strategic responsibility for those services. Come and hear expert speakers from different LIS environments share their experiences and visions. No background knowledge is required, just an interest in improving the customer experience in your library or information service!

PROGRAMME FOR THE DAY

Morning: plenary presentations

 Us and them? Shaping a customer service culture in libraries – Maxine Melling, Liverpool John Moores University
A reader-friendly library service – Rachel Van Riel, Opening the Book Promotions
Connecting with your online users: they won’t come just because you build it – Richard Wallis, Talis

Afternoon: choose two out of four parallel sessions:

How we do things in the North East: developing customer focus and standards – Mark Freeman, South Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council
Better by design: a guide to planning new libraries or major remodelling of library spaces – Ayub Khan, Warwickshire County Council
Web 2.0. British Library 2.0 – Adrian Arthur, The British Library
One session tbc (possibly an NHS speaker)

Sessions will be presentation–based with an opportunity to ask questions and open up discussion. Delegates will be contacted nearer the time regarding afternoon selections.

LEARNING OUTCOMES

Improved understanding of factors that may influence the customer experience
More detailed understanding of specific issues, such as how to create a customer service culture; how to be reader-friendly; how to connect with online users; how to make the most of your buildings and environment.
Awareness of the benefits of continuing professional development
Awareness of relevant support networks and resources
Confidence to progress towards improving customer focus within own service

AGM

Two events for the price of one! The Conference is followed by further refreshments and our AGM, a free event which will take place at 4.15pm, to finish by 4.45pm. There will be an opportunity afterwards to continue networking with colleagues over a drink in one of Liverpool's many pubs.

VENUE

G01 Theatre, John Foster Building, 98 Mount Pleasant, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool L3 5UZ
For maps and travel directions, please see:
http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/location/routeplanner.asp?id=19
Artsline Access Code: W

DELEGATE RATES

CDG members - £75 + 15% VAT =  £86.25
Non members - £95 + 15% VAT = £109.25
Students & Unwaged - £45 + 15% VAT =  £51.75 (limited places available)
Delegate rate includes refreshments and buffet lunch.

SEAL OF RECOGNITION

The Career Development Group has been awarded the CILIP Seal of Recognition http://www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/seal.

All delegates will receive a certificate of attendance.

For further details or to make a booking please send the Booking Form (below) to:
Viki Lagus, Jarrow Library, Cambrian Street, Jarrow, Tyne and Wear, NE32 3QN
Tel 0191 428 2318   Email [log in to unmask]

BOOKING FORM

Please complete and return this form to Viki Lagus by Monday 6th April 2009

Name:

Position:

Address:

Postcode:

Tel:

Email:

Special access and/or dietary requirements:

I will / will not be attending the AGM following the conference (delete as appropriate)

I enclose a cheque / I wish to be invoiced (delete as appropriate)

Please make cheques payable to the Career Development Group

Name and address (if different from above) :

Invoice Reference number (this helps us a lot) :

Member of CDG:                        Yes / No

CILIP membership number:

PLEASE NOTE

Cancellation after Monday 13th April will incur the full cost of this event, unless a substitute can be found from the same organisation.

Kind regards

Amanda

Amanda Quick
Past President 2009
Career Development Group

Website: http://www.cilip.org.uk/specialinterestgroups/bysubject/careerdevelopment

A group of CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
Registered Charity Number 313014