From: Bevins, Liz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 20 January 2009 13:52
To: Bevins, Liz
Cc: Harman, Kim
Subject: Opportunity to influence development of Learner Involvement NOS - events / electronic consultation - for ACTION

Colleagues

Invitation for circulation to institutions in the lifelong learning sector, via your networks

Please see below the information from LLUK related to development of UK-wide National Occupational Standards (NOS) for ‘Learner Involvement’ roles in the lifelong learning sector.  If you have already received the invitation previously from the project team and acted upon it, please accept my apologies.  I am now circulating to key contacts across the area with the request that they circulate it across their networks of Principals, CEOs, heads of HR, Pro-VCs, Heads of Service and others to ensure it reaches those responsible for decision making about involving and supporting learners in our sector.

Originally, the focus of the project was on the wider FE sector (including ACL and WBL), but it has been discussed with the Project Board that as a Sector Skills Council we have responsibility to ensure we are including other parts of our footprint who may use these standards, such as Higher Education institutions and Libraries, Archives and Information services, and others with a similar supportive role across the lifelong learning sector.

Please approach Kim Harman directly if you have further questions – her details are at the end of the NOS email below.

Regards and thanks,

Liz Bevins
Area Manager, North of England - Strategy and Business Development Directorate, LLUK

Learner Involvement NOS

You may be aware that Lifelong Learning UK (LLUK) is currently developing new National Occupational Standards (NOS) for Learner Involvement roles. The new standards will support those working in Learner Engagement, Learner Enrichment and Learner Support activities, as well as professionalising these key support functions, assisting with recruitment and career development, informing the content of training and encouraging qualification development.

The electronic consultation is now open, running in parallel to a series of workshop consultations on the first draft NOS, now taking place across the UK from now until early February 2009.  We welcome comments from relevant parties although we would strongly encourage you to attend an event, to ensure your views are fully reflected and explored.

Who is this for?

LLUK are working with a number of partners and organisations across the further education, work based learning and adult and community learning sectors to deliver these events.

We are encouraging those who work with or in a learner involvement role to take part in this consultation.  Learner Involvement can include:

·     Learner Engagement

·     Learner enrichment (eg supporting or delivering additional / extra-curricular activities outside the learning context)

·     Learner support (including areas such as health and welfare)

·     Learner Voice and Learner Representation

We also welcome input by those who work with, manage or employ those working in learner involvement activities.

How to take part:

The electronic consultation is now open - you can find view the draft standards and download the electronic questionnaire at http://www.lluk.org/learner-involvement-nos-consultation.htm

Completed questionnaires should be returned to [log in to unmask] by 6 February 2009.

However, we would urge you, or your relevant, nominated colleague, to attend an event to make sure you have the opportunity to fully explore your learner involvement role in relation to these new NOS.

Consultation Events - Places are still available at the events below:

·  27 January 2009 - Lewisham College, London

·  29 January 2009 - Openspace, Scotland's Colleges, Stirling

·  2 February 2009 - Calderdale College, Halifax, West Yorkshire

·  3 February 2009 - James Watt College, Greenock, Inverclyde

·  6 February 2009 - South West College, Dungannon, Northern Ireland

Please do visit our website to view and book onto the events, available online at: http://www.lluk.org/3820.htm   Click the links for details and a booking form .

For more general information and background on the development of these new National Occupational Standards, please visit the project page at: www.lluk.org/3651.htm

Kim Harman
Project Support Officer
Portfolio Team Operations Directorate
Lifelong Learning UK

DDI: 0113 2411389

This  message  may  contain  confidential and  privileged  information.
If you  are not the  intended recipient  you should not  disclose, copy
or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on its contents.  To do so is strictly  prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please  inform  the  sender that  this  message has  gone astray before
deleting it.  Thank you.

2008 marks the 60th anniversary of the NHS.  It's an opportunity to pay
tribute to the NHS staff and volunteers who help shape the service, and
celebrate their achievements.

If you work for the NHS  and  would like  an NHSmail  email account, go
to: www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail