Hi, Les,

My course on Human-Computer Interaction last year happened in
facebook: http://ariadne.cs.kuleuven.be/mediawiki2/index.php/Chi_2008.
The wiki is mostly in Dutch, but the apps that the students developed
might give you some idea?

The course was quite a success: it was VERY useful to measure how real
numbers of many thousands of real users actually used the apps.
(Evaluation is a core topic in my course.) Having large numbers of
real users was certainly a motivator for some of the students...

This year, the course will start in two weeks: we are still making up
our minds whether we will be using OpenSocial (maybe on http://www.netlog.com/)
  or, again, facebook.

Let me know if you have more specific questions and I'd be happy to
help,

--Erik Duval
http://erikduval.wordpress.com/
http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~erikd/