Dear Int-Boundaries colleagues,

In response to the message sent by Aletheia Kallos entitled “canada usa maritime & arctic blast”, I wish to provide below a link to the official text of the Presidential Directive referred to in several of the articles presented in that web search. I feel that the title of her message and the tone of several publications referred to in it do not reflect accurately the full breadth and scope of that important policy document.

The Presidential Directive dated January 9, 2009, establishes US policies towards several important issues well beyond any potential perceived differences between the two Arctic States referred to in the title of her message. This new Directive supersedes the Presidential Directive of 1994 with respect to Arctic policy (Antarctic US policy remains in effect via the previous Directive).

In light of the emphasis placed by Prof. Prof. Barbara Kwiatkowska to bring documents to our attention relating to the position of the USA with respect to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, I would draw your attention in particular to Section III Policy, Subsection C International Governance, Paragraph 4, which directs the US government to accede to this international law convention. Other important aspects of the implementation of the Convention in the wider context of international law is established in Subsections D to H.

National Security Presidential Directive and Homeland Security Presidential Directive

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2009/01/20090112-3.html

Sincerely,

Galo Carrera

Galo Carrera