From: The Health Equity Network (HEN) on behalf of Adam Oliver
Sent: Fri 09/01/2009 10:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: recession and health

I don't really remember the early 1980s recession as being a particularly great time for narrowing income inequalities, directly causing improvements in health for the poor, or directly causing improvements in health generally. I have to confess that I'm sort of pleased that the housing market bubble has burst (and I'm one of the 'losers' from that), and that the ridiculous and irresponsible policy of credit extension has finally been exposed, but some of the members of the list seem to be suggesting that economic recession may be a good thing. It's a devastating thing for someone when they lose their job and can't find another one. I've seen it, and it may be wise not to lose sight of that.