Dear colleagues

Following on from a very successful inaugural seminar from Professor Sir David Watson in January, the next Queen Mary Educational Research Seminar will take place at 3pm on Monday 9th February in the ESD conference room on the 3rd floor of the Francis Bancroft Building. This can be found on the Mile End campus of the College (directions to which can be found at http://www.qmul.ac.uk/about/campus/mileend/index.html).

The seminar will be given by Dr Matthew Williamson and Dr Giles Martin of QMUL and will be presenting some results of their research into student transition into higher education. This research, which focuses on expectations and experiences of learning and teaching and the ways in which students negotiate the transition from the teaching they have experienced before entering higher education and the methods they are exposed to, and skills they have to develop, once they start at university. The seminar will present some findings from the large scale survey of new entrants to HE carried out before they started their courses, as well as some initial findings from the interviews which were carried out with a sample of students during their first year of study. It will also investigate ways in which this transition can be made easier for students.

Places are limited for this free seminar. If you would like to book a place, please reply to this email.

Regards

Dr Matthew J. Williamson

Education Adviser

Educational and Staff Development

Queen Mary, University of London

E1 4NS

Tel: 020 7882 2813

www.esd.qmul.ac.uk

Blog: http://why-higher-education.blogspot.com/

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131