In message <019201c974a0$2e7c7eb0$8b757c10$@pickering>, Sandra Pickering
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>Interesting how and when this has caught the public interest.
>
>FWIW -
>
>1.       In what circumstances is it necessary or helpful to identify
>someone?s racial or national attributes?

 From the clip I heard, it was to draw attention an individual in a group
just before naming him - which I would have thought was useful in a
video diary.

>2.       As we all know, nationality and race are very different things of
>course.

Am I allowed to be insulted by being called a Brit or a Pom? ;->>

>3.       What do you mean by ?politically correct?? I genuinely do not
>know what it means. (I do know what the hard-of-thinking suggest it
>means.)

Actually what I was looking for were terms that were acceptable to the
groups involved - and could be used without offending the Daily Mail by
the rest of us!

I was in the USA for 5 years, and the acceptable term for US citizens
with some African descent kept changing.
Is African-American now acceptable?

Mary

--
Mary Hawking