2009/1/4 Mary Hawking <[log in to unmask]>:
> In these hard times, there doesn't appear to be a market for recycling
> paper.
> I have a compost heap, and IIRC when I was making worm compost, worms were
> said to be happy with shredded newspaper if you were running short of
> vegetable waste.
> Has anyone got experience of composting paper without setting up a wormery?
> If so, any tips or cautions - types of paper, shredding needed, effects of
> inks on compost/wildlife etc.?
> TIA
> Mary

Paper counts as brown waste in composting, so so long as it is mixed
with adequate green waste it will compost well. Most of my composting
is kitchen waste, so I find mixing in some shredded paper helps it
along nicely.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicgardening/compost_pf.php

Happy Composting New Year

Cheers Geoff
--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments unless by prior
arrangement.