German travellers to Wales

Travellers to Wales / Teithwyr i Gymru

This new project is interested in exchanges and connections between Wales and other (mainly European but also further afield) countries/ cultures in either direction, from 1750 to the present day, and in particular in travel accounts to Wales from these countries. We are hoping to identify patterns of reception and significant periods of activity which will later form the key foci for a network or research grant bid.

We are interested in receiving expressions of interest in the project by potential collaborators as well as suggestions regarding sources of travel narratives on Wales.

At present the corpus includes narratives by travellers from France (especially Brittany), Germany, Ireland, Italy and USA, but we are keen to broaden its focus.

A one-day conference to launch the project will be held at the University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh & Celtic Studies in Aberystwyth on April 25.

Please send your expressions of interest and suggestions to:

Kathryn Jones, Lecturer in French, Swansea University, [log in to unmask]

Carol Tully, Senior Lecturer in German, Bangor University, [log in to unmask]

Heather Williams, Pilcher Senior Fellow, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, [log in to unmask]