Hi Kamen,

In FSL-VBM, brain size correction does not take into account the size of the skull. So indeed, it would compensate for a global shrinkage of the brains in elderly subjects (VBM is dedicated originally to see *local* changes in GM) and subsequently, you should not see any difference on the outer side of the cortex forming some kind of "rind"...
If you have used SPM2, the affine transformation between native GM and the template is taken into account by default in the modulation step (on the contrary to the default settings in FSL-VBM), so you are *not* globally compensating for a shrinkage of the brain (which is a very likely explanation for the differences between your two sets of results).

Cheers,
Gwenaelle