Thanks to Feng xue & Dave, FSL installation is ok:
After downloading the centos32 version, I "tar xvfz" it and logged in as a new user, made some alternations to the path, and FSL appeared. WoW!

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Flitney" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: [FSL] bash does not recognize ". $..."

Feng Xue wrote:
> Dear ÍõÑ壨ÂÞ·Ç¿ÎÌ⣩,
>
> Try download Centos version fsl. BTW, always using root is not a good idea.

Indeed, running as root is risky! There is no need to run FSL as root
so, if you do so and your machine gets hacked/accidentally fried...
well, you have been warned. :-)

Good luck.

> Best Regards
> ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡Feng Xue
> ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡2009-01-14
>
> National Key Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience and Learning
> Beijing Normal University
> Beijing, China. 100875
> Tel: 86-13810154455(m)
> Fax: 86-10-58806154(o)
> web: http://psychbrain.bnu.edu.cn
> Welcome to MuDuo JinSheng BBS @ Beijing Normal University
> telnet://bbs.mdjs.org
> http://bbs.mdjs.org
>
> ======= 2009-01-14 22:06:18 U wrote£º=======
>
>> Hi,Dave,
>>
>> Thanks for your quick reply.
>>

>> I am running on linux redflag(not redhat) desktop 5, and the downloaded FSL version is fsl-4.1.2-macosx.tar.gz.
>> The following are the requried info by Dave:
>>

>> [root@localhost ~]# FSLDIR=/usr/local/fsl
>>
>> [root@localhost ~]# . ${FSLDIR}/etc/fslconf/fsl.sh
>>
>> [root@localhost ~]# set | grep FSL
>>
>> FSLCONFDIR=/usr/local/fsl/config
>>
>> FSLDIR=/usr/local/fsl
>>
>> FSLLOCKDIR=
>>
>> FSLMACHINELIST=
>>
>> FSLMACHTYPE=linux_32-gcc3.4
>>
>> FSLMULTIFILEQUIT=TRUE
>>
>> FSLOUTPUTTYPE=NIFTI_GZ
>>
>> FSLREMOTECALL=
>>
>> FSLTCLSH=/usr/local/fsl/bin/fsltclsh
>>
>> FSLWISH=/usr/local/fsl/bin/fslwish
>>
>> [root@localhost ~]# fsl
>>
>> bash: fsl: command not found
>>
>> [root@localhost ~]# ls $FSLDIR
>>
>> build  config  data  doc  etc  extras  LICENCE  README  src
>>
>> [root@localhost ~]#
>>

>> It is said to be there shall be a  "bin" file yet no such file exists....
>>

>> To the last two question: Yes, I log in as root, and it seems to be fine; I didn't use another user account.
>>

>>> Hm, I'd be very surprised if that was so! What OS are we talking about here? After running the ". ${FSLDIR}/etc/fslconf/fsl.sh", type "set | grep FSL" you should get a list of 5 or 6 environment variables; what are their values? Also send us the output of "ls $FSLDIR". Finally, shouldn't really be a problem but, why are you running as root? Do you get different  behaviour if you run as a regular user?

Dave Flitney, IT Manager
Oxford Centre for Functional MRI of the Brain
E:[log in to unmask] W:+44-1865-222713 F:+44-1865-222717