From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Walterfang, Mark
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 7:02 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [FSL] Longitudinal DTI

Hi all

Long time lurker, second time poster. My question relates to longitudinal
DTI measurements in subjects to track illness progression and/or response to
a novel treatment.

My subjects are two adults who were scanned approximately 12 months apart
using the same 15-direction sequence on a GE Signa 1.5T scanner. The
parameters were identical between times 1 & 2 with regards to the sequence
itself (TE, slice thickness, etc).

On each of the scans I converted from DICOM to NIFTI using Jolinda's
wonderful MRIConvert, and then ran eddy_correct, extracted the nodif volume,
used BET on the nodif, and then ran dtifit to produce the FA and MD maps I
am interested in. This seemed to work fine for all scans.

I then used FLIRT with 12 dof to register the time 2 FA map to the time 1
map, and they match nicely from an anatomical perspective in FSLView. I am
looking to create ROIs in FSLView to compare values in particular regions
across timepoints.

What has occurred is that the FA values in one patient have dramatically
reduced over 12 months, in a counter-intuitive way (given clinical progress
& response to medication) - with reductions varying from 0.07 to 0.15 in all
regions, brain-wide. The other patient, with a virtually identical clinical
response, has shown an increase that is fairly consistent across regions of
0.05.

What I am wondering is essentially how valid these changes are. Could
processes such as eddy current correction, or other scanner/processing
variables, produce brain-wide changes in the FA maps? Are there other
pre-processing steps I need to consider to improve (if it's necessary) the
robustness of my output FA maps?

Any help is appreciated,

Regards

Mark Walterfang