Hi,

Almost always one would want to demean the covariate, assuming that
either the data will be also demeaned (as in first-level FEAT
modelling) or that there will be a group-mean EV (as typically in
higher-level FEAT). If RT scores are "Z scores" then they have
probably been demeaned already, but it can't hurt to check.

You typically want to demean because you want to separate out the
modelling of the group mean from the modelling of the correlation
between the data and the covariate, separately from that mean.

Cheers.

On 16 Jan 2009, at 16:50, Cibu wrote:

> Hello
> From the forum, it seems essential to demean a covariate if one
> wants to test for correlations between say FA or some behavioral or
> fMRI measure. My question is when should one demean the covariate
> and are there instances when the covariate can be used as is? For
> example, if the behavioral RT are expressed as Z scores then is a
> Demean on the Z score necessary. Could someone briefly explain the
> rationale behind demean?
>
> Many thanks as always
> Cibu

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)