Apologies if this topic has been raised before. I haven't been posting for a while. I went to the cinema earlier tonight to see Slumdog Millionaire. I found it depressing and deeply offensive. I din't expect that. I thought it was going to be more like City of Men or In This World and now I'm annoyed I wasted the entrance fee supporting it. The fact that people seem to think it's so wonderful makes me quite annoyed.

The first half of the film was actually very interesting, raising some interesting issues about India's position, problems etc.  However, it was just another piece of mainstream 'made for a Western audience' movie who can't take to much truth about the human race's greed or life in a slum. For me it was no different from Billy Elliot dancing his way out of poverty (as you do) or poor old Julia Roberts being rescued from prostitution by a millionaire.

Makes me want to stick one of those National Lottery 'It could be you' stickers on the movie poster.

Am I missing something?

Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more! * * Film-Philosophy Email Discussion Salon. After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to. To leave, send the message: leave film-philosophy to: [log in to unmask] Or visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/film-philosophy.html For help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon. * Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com Contact: [log in to unmask] **