On 4 Ean 2009, at 19:47, Dan Mayer wrote:

This looks suspiciously post modern.  I'd love to read it and be able to comment. However, I can't get on any of the articles.  Anyone have access?  It costs $197 to purchase the issue and about $25 per article.

This, in itself, is a commentary on evidence based health. While the evidence is placed behind financial barriers, it remains accessible only to wealthy institutions. The authors of these papers were presumably not paid for their intellectual property, which they have had to sign over to the publishers.

When are we going to realise that part of the cost of research has to be the cost of making the knowledge available to others? And that this is an ethical responsibility, not a business model?

Ronan Conroy

Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
Epidemiology Department,
Beaux Lane House, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95
+353 (0)1 402 2764 (Fax - remember them?)
http://rcsi.academia.edu/RonanConroy

P    Before printing, think about the environment