Hi Donald,

I have had a quick read of Derkatch's paper and my point is simply
that there is no attack on science in what she is arguing (at least
none that I can see).

I take her to be discussing the kind of argument that sometimes occurs
between some proponents of CAM and the broader medical fraternity.

EBM provides a clear criteria for testing CAM treatments: test the
treatment in a well conducted randomised trial.  One problem is that
too few CAM treatments have been subjected to well conducted
randomised trials.  A second problem (and the issue Derkatch
discusses) arises when the CAM treatment has been subjected to a well
conducted randomised trial.  If the trial provides positive results,
and the CAM treatment is sufficiently dubious (in the sense that a
scientific theory for how the treatment might work is absent, eg
homeopathy) then,---appropriately I think---many in the medical
community will pay particular attention to the trial's methodology
(something must be introducing a bias), or write off the results to
chance.

Conversely, if the trial provides negative results then, sometimes at
least, CAM proponents will do some special pleading.  Something about
the trial methodology, randomisation or control or something, has
interfered with the CAM treatment's "true" causal process.  I
understand this is the case in trials of homeopathy.  Despite good and
growing evidence of ineffectiveness some CAM proponents push for more
trials to be done.

EBM puts forward a clear test for efficacy which focuses on the
methodology of research.  Derkatch notes that despite the same
methodology (RCTs), and despite many of the arguments being made in
the name of methodology, CAM treatments are debated in different
terms, and sometimes need to meet a different criteria in order to be
considered efficacious.  I stand to be corrected, but I don't think
she is claiming too much more than that.

If I have understood correctly, I would suggest that something like
this claim is true.  And not only true but appropriate.  RCTs of
highly implausible treatments (CAM or not) are treated differently to
RCTs of more plausible treatments.  (For instance, I approach and make
different arguments about the Kirsch PLOS Medicine 2008;5(2) meta-
analysis of antidepressant trials than I do a meta-analysis of
homeopathy trials, and at least part of this difference is explained
by my attitude to the effectiveness of antidepressants compared to
homeopathy).  I would look to justify this difference in terms of the
coherence of the theories or some other such approach (for what its
worth I think attempts to justify the different approach raises a
series of interesting questions).

Derkatch points to a difference in the arguments put forward about
treatments that are tested in randomised trials.  I think there is a
good reason for that difference but that is different argument.
Derkatch does not judge the arguments put forward by mainstream medics
or CAM proponents, and perhaps some find her approach to the kind of
arguments she is entertaining from CAM proponents too concessionary.
Fair enough.

Best,
Adam