This is fascinating – I had previously heard of a similar “problem” in German

Rakesh’s answer partly anticipates a question I was going to ask – perhaps naively after all the previous erudite epistemological discussions (I think I’m more a critical realist than a positivist, myself, BTW :-))

What word is used in legal circles in countries whose languages don’t have the word “evidence” as we mean it in English?  I suppose at a trial witnesses might give their “testimony” or similar – which might not suit our purposes, as it could imply anecdote-based or eminence-based medicine, based on one person’s experience.  But on what do judges/juries/etc say they make their decision if they can’t say (ie use the word) it’s on the “evidence” before them  - not just witness testimony (“I saw John hit Fred”) but eg laboratory evidence or photographic evidence  (NB, I’m of course talking about the language used here, I don’t mean to imply anything about judicial processes)

Best wishes

Andy

Andy Hutchinson

email:    [log in to unmask]