Dear Rene,

Thank you for your intervention. However, I feel it was misplaced. The
attempt to raise a boycott was itself anti-sociological, because it
would silence rather than open dialogue.

I feel very strongly that in this crisis sociological understanding is
important, when it is distanced from campaigns for the partisan
promotion of ideological positions.

I agree that some of the postings have been outside the terms of use of
the list, but I hope you do not mean that European sociology should not
reflect on and engage sociologically with politics and political issues.

For instance, the last three postings have drawn attention to sources
that are sociologically relevant to the current crisis which had been
raised as an issue on this list by the email campaign for a boycott.

Regards,

Dr Michael  S. Drake

Lecturer and Undergraduate Programme Director for Sociology

Department of Social Sciences

University of Hull

Cottingham Road

Hull