From: Peter Hill [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 January 2009 18:27
Subject: Re: Disclosure

Hi

I can't help with this one - but I have a related query.  (I hope Wendy won't mind my hijacking her thread!)

 A lecturer friend relayed the following:

A student claims to have a disability (dexterity difficulties) and has asked for course materials and lecture notes to be provided in paper format. Although resources are provided electronically, the student claims not to be able to use a keyboard - so can't print them off himself, even though he can apparently write by hand.  The real issue lies in the fact that the student has not provided any evidence of a disability and he steadfastly refuses to have any contact with student support services.  This is obviously proving tricky for the lecturer who would like to know exactly what her obligations are.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Peter Hill

Wendy Knowles (W.Knowles) wrote:

Hi to everyone

Can I ask what your policy is at your own institution as regards disclosure of a disability? Do you view initial disclosure (eg on the UCAS form) as full disclosure to the University or do you ask students to complete any additional paperwork once they have a definite place? If so, what exactly do they complete and who completes this with them?

Here at York St John we ask all students to fill in a disclosure form before we forward on information to relevant departments. Do you feel this is necessary?

Very grateful for all responses

Best wishes

wendy

Wendy Knowles

Disability Service Manager

York St John University

Tel: 01904 876541

Fax: 01904 612512

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.yorksj.ac.uk

Please note that this email contains the views and opinions of the sender and not necessarily those of the institution unless otherwise stated.

In the interests of the environment please do not print this email on paper unless necessary

--

Peter J Hill

Tel: 01905 391 547
Mobile: 07751 792711

Email: [log in to unmask]

www.study-pro.com

This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies. Please do not disclose, copy, or distribute information in this email nor take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it

Please note that views expressed in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Higher Education Academy

Please note that this e-mail has been created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a secure communications medium. We advise that you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us

Although we have taken steps to ensure this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free

The Higher Education Academy Registered No 4930131