-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Edwards Robert (CeLL)
Sent: 14 January 2009 08:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Flash photography and epilepsy

To me there seems to be something odd about this student's concern.

A photographer using an SLR camera with flash, and looking through the
camera's viewfinder, doesn't see the flash at all, because the flash
fires when the camera's mirror is lifted to expose the sensor, shutting
off the viewfinder's view. So the photographer is the one person who
doesn't see the flash, but everyone else around does.

In a studio setting with a tripod mounted camera, cable release, and
multiple flash units, the photographer can close his or eyes at the
moment of exposure.

And finally, how do people with epilepsy cope with situations where
other people are flashing around, so to say, all over the place?

Robert Edwards
University of Glamorgan