Dear all

The following may be of interest to members of the list.

Early in 2008 there was a lot of excitement around the announcement that
Google was about to launch a free service for hosting research datasets.

Less widely reported so far - and I had missed it until I saw it in the Open
Access News - was the report by Wired that Google has withdrawn the proposed
service first known as Palimpsest (and later re-named Google Research
Datasets).

Unfortunately the proposed service seems to have fallen prey to the credit
crunch. The story throws the issue of sustainable funding for long-term
services for datasets  and the challenges of doing this in the current
commercial environment into stark relief.

Neil Beagrie

Charles Beagrie Ltd

Digital Access and Preservation

Management and Research Consultancy