no)BOUNDARIES
2009 Graduate Student Conference
Feb 28th-Mar 1st, 2009
http://www.geog.psu.edu/noboundaries/
Featuring Dr. Jan Monk as Keynote Speaker

The graduate students of the Penn State DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY invite graduate & undergraduate students to present their research at our annual interdisciplinary conference.

KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Janice Monk, Professor, Geography & Regional Development, The University of Arizona

PAPER & POSTER SESSIONS
Paper sessions will be organized along common themes with 20 minute timeslots (15 minute presentations followed by a 5 minutes of Q and A). Graduate and undergraduate students are invited to present posters. If you would like to present your research, send a title and abstract (250 words or less) to [log in to unmask] by February 1, 2009.

Subjects may include:
- Politics, economics, and international development
- Ecology and environmental sciences
- History, culture, and society
- Gender, race, class, and sexuality
- Urban & rural policy and planning
- Hazards and global change
- GIS, spatial analysis, and geovisualization

WORKSHOP: Professional Development in the Graduate Curriculum
Michael Solem, Educational Affairs Director, Association of American Geographers
Time management, collegiality, professional ethics, academic publishing, course design, interdisciplinary collaboration, career planning, and teaching diverse student are among the topics that, although central to academic careers, are rarely discussed systematically in doctoral programs. This workshop will demonstrate some of the ways these and other topics can be introduced to aspiring academics in the early stages of their professional development.

SPECIAL SESSION: BALANCING ON THE ACADEMIC LADDER— SUPPORTING WOMEN IN GEOGRAPHY AND BEYOND
Creating supportive spaces for a diversity of women within academia is an ongoing process that involves personal and political action at a variety of scales. This year's special session of the no)BOUNDARIES conference looks to acknowledge the successes as well as the challenges faced by those striving to create a more supportive academic environment for all women.

We are soliciting papers for panel sessions on the themes of:
- Life in the Department: Departmental Climate; Mentoring; Access to Information; Student Organizations
- Life Beyond the Department: Publishing; Work/life Balance; Career Track; Outreach; Networking

These are merely suggested topics; we welcome any and all contributions. We will feature workshops as well as panel sessions to encourage the generation and exchange of creative ideas and strategies. Send paper abstracts to [log in to unmask].

More information can be found at: http://www.geog.psu.edu/noboundaries

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: February 1, 2009

Attachment includes: Call for Papers, Tentative Conference Program

Please feel free to forward/post this information!

--
Kathleen Dietrich
Doctoral Student

Pennsylvania State University