This message crossed David's. My message detailed a number of serious objections I have to the proposal that Community Psychology should be a BPS Section. I make no apologies for this message being so long that I understand some of you may be unable to read it. If this applies to you, you will be using the Internet whilst working for a big organisation. One, but only one, of my objections is that the proposal represents a sell out to the establishment.  You are probably being controlled whilst you provide a "service" to students or "clients". Community Psychology has got to recover its radical, genuinely participative rooots, again, and it will not do this as part of the BPS or any other professional organisation, whatever the BPS' other merits.

Frederic Stansfield

--- On Thu, 29/1/09, David Fryer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
From: David Fryer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] The CP Community
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, 29 January, 2009, 2:05 PM

Dear Grant,

I very much like the idea of an online hub which would facilitate new ways to interact and develop community critical psychology, am keen to help develop opportunities for sustained focused critical e-discussion under this umbrella and have a specific idea in mind (Elaine Douglas and I had already raised the possibility on this list of our collaborating on facilitating critical participatory e-discussion via Face book but had not been enthusiastic about Face book but the hub seems to offer a more promising home  - more of this from us separately) and I would be happy to make a financial contribution from a small budget I have to get hub things going.

However, think we need to address some other issues before moving on since whether we use snail mail, email, JISCmail, wiki or whatever e-medium, unless we are critically reflexively alert we will reproduce between us oppressive practices found in the society in which we are located and oppressive behaviour will still occur.In my view problematic list behaviour occurred in relation to the issuing of the 'Gaza statement', when single issue politics took precedence over emancipatory process and procedural justice. Not only was the process problematic but, as far as I am aware, neither the final amended statement issued on behalf of this list's members nor the names of organisations and people to whom it was sent on our behalf has even been circulated on the list, which is disrespectful. These issues seem to be in danger of being brushed under the e-carpet as we move on to other issues and surely as members of a community psychology list, with its alertness to issues of power, marginalisation, social justice etc. we should engage with the issues raised. It seems too soon to me to consider wiki starter material emphasising participatory democracy when contempt for respectful participatory democracy has just been demonstrated between us on the list and not since been named let alone addressed.

I want to make clear that I am not objecting to the contents of the statement and do not want to get diverted into discussing that. I also want to make it clear that I think we need to engage in critical reflexivity about recent list events without resorting to individualism and psychologism and with constructive intentions.

Finally I want to say that I notice Rebekah's name and email details have disappeared from the information (inserted automatically at the bottom of posts) about the moderators of this list. I have not seen an announcement that Rebekah has stepped down as moderator but assume that is the case. If so I want to take this opportunity to thank Rebekah for founding this list and keeping it going as a resource for us

David