An action IS a statement
Derrida (or Craig if yopu prefer)

--- On Tue, 20/1/09, Rebekah Pratt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Rebekah Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] action and statements
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tuesday, 20 January, 2009, 8:11 PM

Hi all,

I just wanted to add to the discussion about press statements and why we are so
interested in using the media.  At the conference last year we had an excellent
workshop on working with the media (many thanks to Moira Scobbie from the
Scottish Government and her colleague from the see me campaign).  Ironically,
given the interest in press statements it was not well attended!!  But a key
message that was put across was the need to be very clear about what is the key
message and what is it you want to achieve in working with the press.

In some ways, as a discussion list the idea about finding a key message is
contrary to the purpose of a forum like this - which might be described as
generating a diversity of views in a supportive and challenging environment. I
do support the view that we could release press statements as a network, but
think that using a discussion list to drive a process of seeking the consensus
needed is really challenging!  I also agree with Grant that a named and opt in
approach is a reasonable one.  An opt out approach requiring a 50% list
membership objection means something like 100 people taking the time to read,
digest and reply to someone (and who that would be is even unclear).  That seems
a troubled process to me!

I also think there are issues about what it is we want to achieve.  Just to be
clear, I do not have an opposing view to the content of what is being suggested,
but I get the sense that our interest in releasing press statements (in general)
serves the purpose of making it feel like WE (whoever that is) undertook an
action.  Does that then mean that the goal we achieve in releasing press
statements is that of making us feel better, or like we cared enough to act?
I'm not suggesting that is an unworthy aspiration, rather that it might not
be taken as press-worthy (so then does a press statement fit the need?).

What was blatantly clear from the workshop was that there are loads of ways to
work with the media (including raising awareness, working with many different
formats and providing information), but we are a little short on know how in
this area.  I think if we were serious about taking forward working with the
press we could form a sub-group of interested folk who might think about how we
need to get the know how to be effective.  Although you might assume that leads
back to the point of being clear about who ‘we’ are, what our message is,
and what we want to achieve … but that, of course is a whole different issue,
and again, I agree with Grant’s point that perhaps we need to commit to other
ways to organise which could be complimentary to something like this list.
Maybe the BPS Section process might help expand on some of these issues?

Anyway… that’s a bit more on my reservations!

Rebekah

--The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

For any problems or queries, contact the list moderators: Rebekah Pratt
([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask])