From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Savvas Savvides
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:05 PM
Subject: [ccp4bb] sticky crystals

Dear colleagues,

we have been growing crystals of a protein complex  in sitting-drop geometry that stick to the bottom of the drop remarkably well. It’s as if they are glued onto the plastic. This makes crystal handling next to impossible without destroying the crystals. We have tried whiskers, loops, all kinds of micro-tools, and pipetting techniques to no avail.  I can say at the outset that we have been unsuccessful in growing these crystals in hanging-drops or at 4 degrees. Deglycosylating the complex also leads to nowhere. In fact, we are only able to get crystals from homogeneously glycosylated protein produced in HEK293S/I- cells.

 In the meantime we are playing with the idea of  siliconizing the sitting-drop depressions to alter the crystal/plate interface. But then again, nucleation events on the plastic  may be the reason we are getting crystals in the first place. We have also thought of trying microseeding to have more control on nucleation issues. Our protein production is quite limiting and forces us to be very selective with our experimentation.

Nonetheless,  while we are waiting for fresh material  to explore some of these ideas we would like to make the most out of the crystals we have grown thus far. We would therefore very much appreciate any input/ideas on manipulating these crystals for data collection.

Best wishes

Savvas

----
Savvas Savvides
L-ProBE, Unit for Structural Biology
Ghent University
K.L. Ledeganckstraat 35
9000 Ghent, BELGIUM
office: +32-(0)9-264.51.24 ; mobile: +32-(0)472-92.85.19
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.lprobe.ugent.be/xray.html