From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 6:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] more on lattice translocation defects

Dear Laurie,

For copyright reasons, I would suggest that you ask the authors for a
reprint or pdf. They can legally do it.

Concerning lattice translocation defects, as I see it, it means that
neighboring layers in a crystal are sometimes translated in one
direction, sometimes in another direction. These maybe an integral part
of the unit cell (1/2 or 1/3 etc.) as Zhu et al. seem to have, or random
values (e.g. 0.32, 0.49).

This can lead to several bizarre effects in the diffraction pattern:
-if the defects occur frequently, this leads to small coherent domains,
which leads to smeared spots. However, spots for which these domains
cancel out, stay sharp. As a result, the diffraction pattern shows a
mixture of sharp and smeared spots.
-The self patterson shows strong peaks for both translations. However,
since the translations occur in different unit cells, there are no
corresponding cross peaks.
-If the translation is almost an integral part of the unit cell, one
sees a modulation. E.g. if the translation is 0.45, one sees extinctions
for odd h, k or l indexes if the index is around 0, extinctions for even
indexes if the index is around 10, extinctions for odd indexes if the
index around 20 etc.

Best regards,
Herman