From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Terje Dokland
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] Polarizing filter

We are looking to buy a polarizing filter for our Leica stereomicroscope that we use to observe crystals. However, I am a little confused about the types of filters  that are available from photography stores; specifically there are "linear" and "circular" polarizers. I would guess that what I need is a linear polarizing filter that can rotate, though these are harder to find than the circular polarizers that seem to be more common for general photography. Any advice? Thanks,

Terje

---

Terje Dokland, PhD

Associate Professor

Department of Microbiology

University of Alabama at Birmingham

845 19th St South, BBRB 311

Birmingham, AL 35294

Tel:         (205) 996 4502

Fax:        (205) 996 2667

Do. Or do not. There is no try.   -- Master Yoda