All:

I'm trying to get the latest version of Refmac up and running - the one bundled into ccp4 6.1.0 - and have come across an error I've never seen before:

#CCP4I TERMINATION STATUS 0 Error from script /usr/local/ccp4-6.1.0/ccp4-6.1.0/ccp4i/scripts/refmac5.script: can't read "space_group": no such variable
#CCP4I TERMINATION TIME 29 Jan 2009  18:23:02
#CCP4I TERMINATION OUTPUT_FILES  /home/caruthej/bo3/ccp4/bo3A_71_Unspecified.refmac.cif bo3A
#CCP4I MESSAGE Task failed

I found that this error is mentioned on the problems page for ccp4 version 5.0 - 5.0.2 and the suggested fix is to apply the following patch:

ftp://ftp.ccp4.ac.uk/ccp4/5.0.2/patches/CCP4_utils-25Aug2004.tcl.diff

to the scripts directory.

Does anyone know if the same patch can be used to fix this error for the latest version of Refmac5 that's bundled into ccp4 6.1.0 as well as the version that was available in 2004 when the patch was created?  Sorry for the simplistic question, but I don't have permission to install or modify programs on the system I'm using so I can't readily perform the experiment and the IT guy wants to know if anybody has any experience using this patch with the latest version of Refmac5 before he starts monkeying around with it.

thanks,

Jon Caruthers
Stowell Lab
University of Colorado