Two things to be mentioned.
* IDA columns bear an overall negative charge. I expect this behavior
holds true with NTA gels. Hence salt, (>= 0.5 M NaCl) must be present in
your adsoprtion buffer to quench possible repulsive electrostatic
interactions.
* You are dealing with protein adsoption by coordination bond formation
to a metal-chelate. Coordination bond lentghs decrease (and binding
improves) as ionic strength increases, so a 1-2 M salt concentration in
you buffer may turn out to be appropriate.

HTH,

Nadir Mrabet

--

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet