1. Pick many representative samples from each morphological class.
2. Take as many notes about the appearance, habits, and physical
properties of each crystal that you can.
3. Screen every crystal for diffraction in a variety of cryo-
protectants, etc.
4. All protein crystals were meant to be destroyed in an x-ray beam
pointed at a detector.
5. Salt has a characteristic diffraction. X-ray is the best way to
test for salt.
6. If you can unambiguously identify salt crystals from the
information you gathered in 2, 3, and 5, don't waste time harvesting
said salt crystals.
7. Go to 1 until you have exhausted your supply of protein crystals.
8. Grow new crystals by varying growth conditions.
9. Go to 1 until you are happy with your data.

James