Dear Tim, Rupert, Till, Ian & everyone...

Best wishes for 2009.

I worked in primary schools for 15 years and was startled by how much rubbish gets shipped into classrooms and halls in the name of ‘children’s poetry’. I don’t mean poetry written by children – I mean poetry written by adults for children. One ‘children’s poet’ who tried to arrange a paid reading at the school managed to get the word ‘toilet’ or ‘fart’ onto every page of the sample material he sent. So stunted (and institutionalised) notions of poetry can start early. Vacant rhyming couplets or quatrains, full of sick and poo. Maybe this leads quite smoothly into certain kinds of performance poetry where the aim is to amuse – jaunty, titillating, beery. But not much else.

I get some of that stuff sent to me as submissions for Oystercatcher Press.

But there’s another phenomenon which doesn’t seem to me to be much of an improvement. It’s when a bunch of pages arrives with a sprinkling of random words. Words unconnected by syntax, rhythm, sense or music by some pale and autistic soul. I am Sir Oracle,/ And, when I ope my lips, let no dog bark!

This is the opposite extreme. Instead of pandering to the imagined desires of an audience, it demonstrates no awareness that an kind of act of reading may ensue. It’s almost a challenge: you will not read me. I do not deign to participate in an act of communication.

Somewhere between these two extremes is poetry which respects, challenges and includes the reader.

Luv,

Peter