Hi all,

This is a job advert, and a question about advertising jobs.  As the latter is more interesting, I'll start with that.

I work for the NHS in the West Midlands.  We want to employ a good data analyst / statistician, and as this is the first time I've organised recruitment I am not sure where to advertise!  Obviously allstat is the right answer, but any other ideas would be very appreciated.  I will write a summary of all suggestions and post it to the list in a week.

The job in question is an interestingly varied job - there is lots of dealing with ad-hoc queries from stakeholders which range from 'how many people were there with bowel cancer in my local area last year?' to 'Are you more likely to get lung cancer if you're from an ethnic minority, and if so do you get a less good service?' - and also has good opportunities to write more detailed reports and investigate interesting questions fully.  Although the role could be done with someone with a broad maths degree and a good grasp of excel, it is a very flexible post - if someone wanted to come in and do Serious Statistics (with better software packages!) then the unit would be very supportive of that.  It would be an excellent job for someone seeking their first management experience, as they would be working with a team of four information assistants, managing the workload and supporting and checking their analysis.  About the only down-side is that we have our hands tied by NHS payscales!

I have attached the full job advert at the end of this post.  Do get in touch if you would like more details.

[Apologies if this post is too meta, the links to the FAQ and the introduction seem to be broken at the moment:

http://mathstore.gla.ac.uk/allstat/introduction.asp

http://mathstore.gla.ac.uk/allstat/faq.asp]

Sally Vernon

Deputy Director of Cancer Registration

Email                 [log in to unmask]

Website:           http://www.wmpho.org.uk/wmciu/ <http://www.wmpho.org.uk/wmciu/>

WEST MIDLAND CANCER INTELLIGENCE UNIT

CANCER REGISTRATION INFORMATION OFFICER

Band 5  £20,225 - £26,123 (1 April 2008)

Full-time 37.5 hours a week

Fixed term 2 year post

Would you like to produce excellent analysis to support NHS service planning and cancer research in the West Midlands?

The Cancer Information Officer manages a team of Information Assistants, leading and inspiring them in providing vital cancer information for a variety of purposes, including cancer surveillance, research and medical audit.

The successful candidate will be well organised, with a keen eye for detail, excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.  They will be educated to degree level in a subject with a numerical data analysis component (or have equivalent relevant experience) and have proven expertise in the use of MS Excel.

For further information and an informal discussion contact Sally Vernon on 0121 415 8128

The WMCIU offers a friendly working atmosphere in a health related environment situated on the Birmingham University campus in Edgbaston.  We encourage flexible working, recognising the need to balance work and personal commitments.

Application forms and job descriptions are available only at  www.jobs.nhs.uk  Job reference 231-09-CI-01. Only online application forms will be accepted.  Candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted via email.

Closing date:   22 January 2009

Interview date:  4 February 2009

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.