Dear Ken & list,

> But somewhere between that 90% and 5% is a line, above which details
> of the "Other" need to looked at carefully.  Where is that line?

Interesting question :-)

I would say that breaking down 'other' is essentially a more
exploratory, qualitative approach to the question. I would therefore be
inclined to use a more qualitative reasoning and say 'break it down as
long as it's useful'.

I can imagine you'd prefer a more systematic/structured algorithm
though, but then the problem becomes that you need the assumption that
the frequency, with which something gets mentioned, is indicative of its
relevance . . . And even when you're willing to make that assumption,
you get back at your original question - when is something relevant
enough to break down?

I hope (but doubt :-)) this helps you, or at least helps the discussion
:-)

Kind regards,

Gjalt-Jorn

---
Gjalt-Jorn Peters
Work & Social Psychology, faculty of Psychology & Neuroscience,
Maastricht University