The University of Plymouth currently has an extenuating circumstances procedure which requires students to provide medical notes from GPs to substantiate periods of illness and the likely effect .  Only when such evidence is deemed valid by faculty Screening Committees are we able to accept work submitted late, allow a student a further first attempt at a missed examination or test, or permit such evidence to mitigate for poor performance and allow resubmission or resit as a first attempt.

Our Vice-Chancellor has received a letter from the Devon Local Medical Committee highlighting the concerns of GPs who were being asked to provide medical notes for students because they did not feel this was an appropriate use of their time, was not really their role, and I guess clogged up surgeries with students requiring notes related to relatively minor conditions.  I should point out we do already stress in the procedures that minor colds, etc. would not be accepted as valid reasons for missing an assessment or for poor performance.

I would be most grateful to hear from any other institution who has had a similar approach.  Has such an approach forced any institution to radically re-evaluate their procedures to, for example, accept self-certification or perhaps to do away with extenuating circumstances altogether and require students to submit/sit an assessment when ready to do so.

Any comments would be most gratefully received - we are obviously interested to know whether this is a local/national trend by GPs.

Many thanks.

Jan Chapman
Assistant University Secretary
Secretariat - Governance Unit