From: Admin-student [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Graham Tomlinson
Sent: 09 January 2009 16:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Extenuating/Mitigating Circumstances

The problem we’ve experienced with notes from GPs is the wide variety of their content, particularly where students have only just registered with a doctor in Norwich and are waiting for their medical notes to catch up with them.  I’ve seen letters from GPs along the lines of, “Student X came to see me on 5 January to discuss a problem with ongoing stomach pains.  I understand that this student has received medical attention for this previously.”  Such letters obviously make it very difficult for our Extenuating Circumstances Panel to assess any impact the condition might have had on the student.

Having said that, as with Hull, we would also accept appointment letters and copies of prescriptions, as long as the dates thereon tallied with the relevant period of assessment.  Students are also encouraged to provide their own accompanying statement with an application for Extenuating Circumstances, which is helpful where the content of the medical evidence might not be sufficiently explicit.

Graham Tomlinson

Assistant Registrar: Academic Support

Academic Registry

Norwich University College of the Arts