Re: A query for ROCHE users regarding FT4 reference ranges
Whatever the outcome of this query, any investigation into FT4  reference ranges would be  additionally useful if it were also to provide information regarding a. the methodology used eg labelled analogue/solid phase antibody  or solid phased analogue/labelled antibody; b the nature of the analogue;  c. the method used to standardize (calibrate) the assay (ie an "absolute" method, e.g. dialysis + RIA of dialysates or "comparative" method e.g. using sera of supposedly known FT4  content); the buffers used (if any) as serum diluents.

The original dialysis +RIA method developed by Sheila Ellis and myself  in the early 1970s yielded a reference range of  7.5 - 17.0 pg/ml (9.7 - 21.9 pmol/L), but the number of normal subjects of both sexes was small and included pregnant subjects whose values was later shown to tend to fall.

In a later study using the first of the direct  FT4  immunoassays that my colleagues had developed (reported in 1979), the range observed in 100 normal women  was 9.8 - 22.4  pmol/L ( mean 15.4  pmol/L , SEM 0.32 pmol/L  ); the mean in  (56) normal pregnant women in the first half of pregnancy was 14.4 pmol/L, SEM 0.4  pmol/L and- in (45) normal pregnant women in the second half of pregnancy - the mean was 12.2 pmol/L, SEM 0.33  pmol/L .  (Unfortunately I don't have the full experimental data nor a full statistical analysis to hand at the moment, but the fall in late pregnancy appears significant.)

The methodology used in these studies was the two-step assay and did not incur the problems that affect analogue-based methods, particularly the labelled analogue methods originally introduced by Amersham (a method which we had considered but had been unable to develop because of our inability to identify a satisfactory analogue).  I therefore believe these values are likely to be reliable.

Roche use the  solid phased analogue/labelled antibody originally developed by my colleagues and myself and which we had found to be accurate , but I don't know the nature of the analogue presently used by Roche.

Note that some of the commercial methods on the market were demonstrably invalid, but it's a long time since I've been involved in this field and I am therefore unaware of any recent authoritative studies that relate to this issue. Nevertheless caution is required concerning what a methodology claimed to assay FT4  is actually measuring.

Roger Ekins

Dear Roche users,

In order to check whether or not we are in-line with national practice, please could anyone who is NOT using the Roche kit insert recommended reference range for FT4 (12-22 pmol/L) email me with their reference range for FT4, and the source of data from which the reference range was derived.

Thank you,

Jinny Jeffery,
Clinical Scientist, Derriford Combined Laboratory, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, PL6 8DH.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

--
Prof Roger Ekins,  PhD DSc FRS

Windeyer Institute
University College London