From: Accident and Emergency Academic List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doc Holiday
Sent: 04 January 2009 17:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pre-hospital scenario

From: Jason Horan ([log in to unmask]
> You're on shift and an Advanced Paramedic puts this strip in front of you

--> Great!
I am sure you were able to make the paramedic feel comfortable doing this. We need MORE of this teamwork!
It would also be ideal, in my opinion, if you let this paramedic know that you yourself were intending to ask for advice on this - honest and further encouragement of him/her that he is not "silly"!

> When the APs arrive the HR is 49 and BP reading about 55/palp

--> I HATE that expression "palp"... So sad that it has done the  "reverse Columbus" and come to us from the Americas...
If you're going to "palpate", having FAILED to get a reading, then just say radial pulse palpable or not...

Anyway... HR < 60, hence Bradycardia, so can use that algorithm from RCUK guidelines...
BP < 90, which is the first listed indication of the 4 in the initial box, so you go to the left side ad next thing is to give atropine 500...
(Sorry - I had a hand in re-designing this particular algorithm into its current simplified form from the old one, so I do like it)

> According to their current clinical practice guidelines

--> Sorry, I can't access it...

> atropine can only be given for HR<50 and if 2nd degree type II, and third degree AV block have both been excluded (plus patient symptomatic)

--> I would not be comfortable with that guideline for pre-hospital use. I would not be comfortable with:
- Attempting to "exclude" these blocks on the basis of a SINGLE lead
- Spending the time doing this pre-hospital
- Making this a pre-condition for Atropine. Could you please let me know what evidence they use to make this requirement.

> "What should I do the next time?"

--> Wrong question, I think. "What should I do NOW", is the question and he has already begun to do it - he asked for advice. Yours (and ours) might help a bit, but what he needs to do is contact his Medical Director and get it clarified NOW. Before next time. As it happens, I don't think these 2 blocks are EVIDENLY there. If it were me, I'd get the guideline changed. If it is a protocol, rather than a guideline, one would have to define what is meant by "exclude", i.e. what evidence is required? Perhaps it would need to say "there is no clear 2b or 3rd degree block", which there is not in this case so they could give Atropine!

The guideline needs fixing now, I think! I'd bet that if someone fixed those, then this would be the best outcome of this whole event!

Why don't you bring this up in your M&M meeting?

As for what to do next time - pacing.

> There are some areas where P-waves are visible and it appears like a complete AV block

--> NO. This is not so.
Where there are P-waves, a QRS ALWAYS follows (i.e. never are there 2 consecutive Ps without a QRS) so it's NOT a 2b. The QRS which follows is <0.1s and of normal morphology for lead II, so this is NOT a 3rd degree (complete) block. The PR interval, when it is there, is ALWAYS >.2s and also variable, so there appears to be a 1st degree block. It is possible that there is a Wenkebach-type thingie going on behing this, without enough P-waves to actually show what the AV node could do with them if they arrived at it more than once every few beats! So one cannot actually CALL this a Mobitz 2a, I think...

> A number of us have tried to trash this out

--> You mean "thrash", no? ;-)

From: Alain Vadeboncoeur ([log in to unmask]
> severe sinusalbradycardia (about 30) most of the time, with most of the P waves (when theydo occur) conducting, the rest of it being relatively slow nodal orinfranodal (large) response

--> Agreed

From: Dunn Matthew ([log in to unmask]
> ...As it stands their protocols do not allow giving drugs in this case. That is no bad thing...

--> Although I interpret their protocol as ALLOWING Atropine, I think you may well be right that it is quite likely not to help AND they should scoop and run. If I were out there, I'd scoop and run and, in transit, give the Atropine (if I had no pacing), as I think it may well help on occasion, but will NOT likely harm the paient.

From: Jim Connolly ([log in to unmask]
> ... interesting exclusion criteria for atropine that dont seem to corelate with what most of europe do

--> Is Ireland actually IN Europe?

;-)

Win John Lewis vouchers with BigSnapSearch.com Search now