Hi Haakon,

Your strategy may work (although I think you meant to say coregister the
original T1 to the stripped T1), but there's an easier way.  Just do unified
segmentation with the VBM toolbox, and go into 'Writing Options' and change
'Skull Cleanup' to 'Yes' and 'Native Space' to 'Yes'.  Then you can normalize,
skull-strip, and bias-correct your T1 image all in one step.

There's another advantage to doing it this way.  Your proposal has you
coregistering the T1 to the T2, and then segmenting.  This means the T1 is
lined up with the T2 before segmenting, but when segmenting you should have
the T1 lined up so that its AC-PC is correctly positioned.

I had similar problems with coregistration, and this is the method I use.  It
seems to work well so far...
1) Position AC-PC on T1
2) Segment T1 using VBM toolbox (also changing options to use origin from
header because of step 1)
3) Coregister mean T2 to bias-corrected, skull-stripped T1 and select remaining
T2 images as 'Other Images'
4) Apply seg_sn normalization matrix

If you would like to continue using the other skull-stripping toolbox, then I
would suggest the following.

1) Position AC-PC on T1
2) Segment
3) skull-strip T1
4) Coreg mean T2 (+others) to skull stripped T1
5) Coreg skull-stripped T1 (+T2 images) to original T1
6) Apply normalization matrix

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Chatterjee
Research Assistant
Stanford Systems Neuroscience and Pain Laboratory
650-724-0522

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:13:21 +0100, Neggers, S.F.W.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Skull stripping of course could further minimize mismatch beteen EPI and T1.
>
>However, EPI specific distortion can never be modelled with a rigid body
registration (as in coregistration), you would not get around that problem by
skull stripping. That is, in case your EPIs are spatially distorted considerably.
They always are to some extent.

>When you minimized EPI distortion during acquision your strategy sounds fine
to me.

>Cheers,
>
>Bas

>Dr. S.F.W. Neggers
>Division of Brain Research
>Rudolf Magnus Institute for Neuroscience
>Utrecht University Medical Center
>
>Visiting : Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht
>           Room B.01.1.03
>Mail     : Huispost B.01.206, P.O. Box 85500
>           3508 GA Utrecht, the Netherlands
>Tel      : +31 (0)88 7559609
>Fax      : +31 (0)88 7555443
>E-mail   : [log in to unmask]
>Web      : http://www.linkedin.com/pub/3/774/590

Namens Haakon Engen
>Verzonden: maandag 19 januari 2009 16:53
>Aan: [log in to unmask]
>Onderwerp: Re: [SPM] Coreg problems
>
>  Hi Marko and Bas,
>
>  Unfortunately neither of your solutions worked, but I did get a workaround
tip off- list by Jimmy Jensen which seems to have done the trick. I used the
nordic Image Control and Evaluation toolbox to skull strip the T1 image, and
when I coregistered the stripped T1 to the T2 they were in aligment.

>  Now, if I am correct, coregistering the stripped T1 to the T2, and then
registering the original T1 to the T2 should allow me to use the unified
segmentation procedure to calculate the normalization parameters which then
can be applied to the T2 images.