Readers of this list may be interested in this update on the TBI/Talis project as posted
last year.

- BEGINS -

Last year TBI Communications and Talis announced a joint initiative to test the application
of semantic Web and Web 2.0 technologies to journal articles. The project is particularly
designed to explore the potential of these tools to help society publishers increase reader
and member engagement with the society and its publications.

The announcement of the pilot project attracted international attention and a large
number of applications were received - in itself indicative of the huge amount of interest
that there is amongst society publishers in exploring next steps in the development of
online journals to increase the discoverability and usability of articles.

Following a review process, TBI and Talis are delighted to announce that the successful
applicant for this project is a joint submission from the European Respiratory Society and
the American Thoracic Society.

"Together, the European Respiratory Society and the American Thoracic Society publish a
significant proportion of high quality articles in the field of respiratory medicine," said
Melinda Kenneway, Director of TBI. "This - together with the quality and highly structured
nature of their content - makes them ideal candidates for this project. Members of both
societies will for the first time be able to access journal articles through a single
integrated interface - but one that can be branded in different ways, as appropriate for
each individual society. They will also be able to use a range of services designed to help
them discover people and content of interest in more sophisticated ways than search
queries alone can support."

"We hope that this experiment will help us better understand what the next generation of
online journals might look like," said Elin Reeves, Assistant Publications Manager at the
European Respiratory Society. "This pilot gives us the opportunity to test real features
and functionality with our members and the wider community, and gain insight into which
services they find most valuable. This experiment also provides us with the opportunity to
further collaborate with the American Thoracic Society. We are excited about the
opportunities that this will bring for better serving the international respiratory
community."

The pilot project will begin in early 2009 and it is anticipated the results will be published
and made freely available in the summer.

- ENDS -

For more information please contact:

Melinda Kenneway
Director
TBI Communications Ltd
Tel: +44 (0)1865 875896
Email: [log in to unmask]

About TBI Communications
TBI Communications is a strategic marketing and communications agency specializing in
providing services to academic and professional publishers and societies.
http://www.tbicommunications.com

About Talis
Talis is a privately owned, established and innovative software company. We are among
the world's first companies to apply leading edge Semantic Web technologies. We are
transforming our existing applications, creating new applications and providing a
technology platform for others.
http://www.talis.com