From: Social History Curators Group email list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Wells, Ali
Sent: 12 December 2008 12:12
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SHCG-LIST] A skeleton in the collection

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. ---------------
Dear list members

Due to recent media interest in a skull in the Herbert's collection we, as a museum, have started a debate about the use and retention of this particular object.
The skull is of the second to last woman to be hanged in Coventry, in 1831. There is, therefore, local historical interest as well as a powerful story.

So far response to newspaper and local news articles has been mainly for the reburial of her skull. We hope to extend the debate by holding an academic conference and perhaps some more accessible public debates. She will also be going on display for two weeks in an exhibition developed in conjunction with our theatre company.

Do any list members have any experience of dealing with human remains in a social history museum context? Has anyone reburied any remains? If so could you tell me more about the process please. If anyone has any advice, useful contacts or is interested in being involved in any of the debates please contact me.

Many thanks

Ali

Ali Wells
Keeper (History Collections and Interpretation)
The Herbert
Jordan Well
Coventry
CV1 5QP

Tel: 024 7629 4763
Fax: 024 7629 4790
www.theherbert.org

The Herbert: Arts-Media-Museum-History
A development in the cultural heart of Coventry

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are requested to contact the sender

All e-mails are monitored by Coventry City Council IT Security, using M@ilMeter and Star Filtering Services.

The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not necessarily those of Coventry City Council.
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs.
The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST

Did you know?

In the in the last three years we've refurbished about 300,000 square metres of pavement, alongside more than 300 roads.

This email is for the intended recipient(s) only.

If you have received this email due to an error in addressing, transmission or for any other reason, please reply to it and let the author know. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy or print it.

This email may be monitored, read, recorded and/or kept by Portsmouth City Council. Email monitoring and blocking software may be used.