This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Dear colleagues,

I recently 'rediscovered' this small metal item in a box of papers which had
belonged to antiquarians Llewellyn Jewitt and W. H. Goss. Colleagues pointed me
in the direction of a list of artefacts and documents which came to the museum
on the death of Goss in 1906. The list includes reference to: Samuel Johnson's
snuff box and Lord Nelson's flint. These are unlikely to be antiquarian
exaggerations - the papers found with this box include handwritten items
(receipt, letter, autograph) from WM Thackerey, General Gordon, George
Cruikshank and Kossuth..

Could this box be a snuff box or a flint? The upper compartment in the box has
been used for 'striking' something - see jpg 012. You may just notice on jpg
009 that there are some slight indentations on the side of the box, as though
something pointed has been tapped against it.

Any comments on the attached gratefully received.

It is great that after nearly seven years of curating the social history
collections here (I've looked after the archaeology collections for 19 years),
I can still find 'new' exciting things (I am making no comment on the
documentation..)

Regards

Deb

Deb Klemperer, Collections Officer (Local History)
The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery
Bethesda Street, Hanley
Stoke-on-Trent, ST1 3DW
England

+44 (0)1782 232323
Please visit our website at http://www.stoke.gov.uk/museums

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG.
To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST