Greenfield (2002) refers to artefactual evidence from the Uruk period (mid 4th millennium BC) of Mesopotamia and the Old Kingdom (late 4th-early 3rd millennium BC) of Egypt.

Greenfield, H. J. 2002. A reconsideration of the Secondary Products Revolution in south-eastern Europe: on the origins and use of domestic animals for milk, wool, and traction in the Central Balkans, pp 14-31. In Mulville, J. and Outram, A. K. (eds.). The Zooarchaeology of Fats, Oils, Milk and Dairying. Oxford: Oxbow Books.

Stephanie Vann, PhD
Archaeozoologist

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:45:44 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [ZOOARCH] Draught Animals
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Can anyone give me a reference for the earliest evidence of the use of domestic animals as draught animals - either archaeological or pictoral?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Melinda Zeder

Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!