G'day All

The UKPN AGM was held in London on Monday.

This email is just to briefly update you, our members, on what occurred.

Briefly, just in case it was unclear:

Who are we?

We are a group of early career polar researchers that was founded as part of the 2007-2009 International Polar Year (IPY). We are the UK branch of the Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS).

Our aims?

The aims of UKPN are threefold:

  1. To provide networking between and support for early career polar researchers.
  2. To provide education and outreach with regards polar issues to young people.
  3. To provide information via newsletters and this website.

Our website?

http://www.polarnetwork.org/new/

Primary Meeting Outcomes?

·      Our efforts should be devoted 80% to doing what we do and 20% to how we do it.

·    Outreach training day to occur in early 2009.

·        Connect with educational support networks, such as STEM.

·        Adopt educational contacts established via IPY IPO.

·        Explore the possibility of getting involved with youth groups such as Cubs, Scouts and Guides.

·        Contact our members’ universities to try and get involved with their local outreach networks.

·        Explore the possibility of having a presence at university career fairs.

·        Get at least two UKPN committee members on the APECS council to provide feedback on international activities.

·        Seek funding for essential bi-annual face-to-face UKPN meetings.

·        UKPN Website to become key portal for UK Polar students, listing polar science institutions and research/career opportunities.

·        POC to be established for each Polar discipline. E.g. oceanography, glaciology etc.

We’d love your feedback on any or all of above, and we’d love you all to become more involved.

Please cx the website, or email any of the committee for further details.

Cheers

Adrian McCallum
Coordinator.