From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 December 2008 17:14
To: [log in to unmask]; Browne Katherine Browne_Kath; [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: ESA RN 23 Sexualities First Call for Papers

Dear friends,

This is the first Call for Papers of the newly reformed Research Network
on Sexualities for the 9th European Sociological Association Conference,
Lisbon, Portugal September 2-5, 2009 (www.esa9thconference.com).

There has in the past been a Sexualities Research Network resulting in
successful Sexualities streams at previous ESA conferences, most notably
at the conference in Murcia (2003) and in Torun (2005).  Unfortunately,
this was not the case at the conference in Glasgow (2007) where scholars
working in this area keenly felt the absence of a Sexualities stream.
However, following a successful international conference at the
University of Surrey in June 2008 on the theme of gender and sexuality
in the workplace attended by over forty delegates from eight different
countries, a decision was made to try to reform the ESA Sexualities RN.

Our aim in reforming the RN is to create an academic space at both
Conference and at interim events for scholars working in this area to
discuss current research in this area, ultimately leading to the
development of new international links and research partnerships.
We are delighted to say that our proposal to reform the network was
accepted by the ESA Executive Committee, and that we will be able to
hold paper sessions at the conference on issues that relate to the
empirical, theoretical and conceptual aspects of sexuality and bearing
in mind the overall conference theme, sexualities in Europe and European
societies.

Below are some suggestions for thematic areas; however this is not an
exhaustive list so please feel free to send a proposal not directly
linked directly to these themes.

*       Sexual citizenship and collective action
*       Sexuality and the media
*       Sexuality and political parties
*       Regulating sexualities
*       Sexualities across the life course
*       Conceptualizing and theorizing sexualities
*       Sexualities and intimate lives
*       Sexuality and the work place
*       Sexualities and intersectionality
*       Teaching sexualities
*       Sexuality and health
*       Sexualities and globalization
*       Sexualities and space/place
Also if there is enough interest we could have streams that examine
sexualities in specific regions of Europe.

If you would like to present a paper at the conference but are not sure
if it fits the above thematic areas, or you have suggestions for another
thematic area please contact the RN co-ordinators. Likewise if you
require additional information before submitting an abstract please do
get in touch.
Details of abstract submission can be found on the website. Please note
that abstract submissions can only be accepted via the online submission
form. Please read the submission guidelines before filling in the form
at www.esa9thconference.com.

Please note the following deadlines:

26 February 2009 - Deadline for abstracts submission (online submission
form)
26 March 2009 - Notification of acceptance of abstracts by RN/RS
coordinators
15 May 2009 - Early bird registration
15 June 2009 - Deadline for registration by paper givers (otherwise
paper will be withdrawn from the conference programme)
15 July 2009 - Deadline for sending full written papers to RN/RS and to
the Local Organising Committee (Full papers which are not submitted
until this date will not be considered for publication)

Co-ordinators

Lead co-ordinator:
Ann Cronin
University of Surrey