Dear Chris and Volkmar,

> the simple answer is: you should use ArtifactRepair/TSDiffAna/some other
> tool to assess the quality of your data, but you should never attempt to
> "repair" your time series by removing/replacing slices/scans.
I broadly agree, but there is another approach that may help. If you
have an objective criterion (predefined), applicable to the tsdiffana
output, for an artefact (eg spike) then this can be used to create a
nuisance regressor identifying an affected volume, effectively removing
that volume from estimation of the parameters for experimental effects.
This is not removing or repairing data, but accommodating the artefact
within the GLM.

This is similar to what happens when including movement parameters and
their temporal derivatives: a sudden large displacement gives a 1 or 2
volume 'peak' in the rp' regressor, against a low value for other
volumes. However, with an objective threshold, this can be binarised, to
'ok scans = 0' and 'this bad volume =1'. If the threshold is too low,
you will have too many nuisance regressors (one for each bad volume)
burning up degrees of freedom and adversely affecting the normal
distribution of residuals. However, a handful of such regressors for a
long study would seem a reasonable way to remove the effects artefacts
like occasional spikes.

Best wishes,

James

--