Hello all

I have yet to have a discussion here with our HR department on this but
I agree with Sara's last line.  This is 'guidance' whereas the Data
Protection Act is a legal requirement. I think the maximum they are
recommending retention for is 1year.  They say "The duration the migrant
is sponsored Or One Year, Or until a visiting officer has examined and
approved them - whichever is shorter, unless the document needs to be
kept for other purposes."

Even so, I think a year is excessive for failed application forms.  An
application form of failed applicants shouldn't be re-purposed by the
Home Office to provide some kind of proof for a non EEA person
(Principle 2 processed for limited purpose).  Hanging on to failed
applicant personal data for months is excessive and not relevant to that
person (principle 3).  We shouldn't be obliged to hang on to failed
applicants forms for longer than is necessary, which surely refers to
necessary for us and the failed applicant, not the Home Office
(Principle 5).

We might eventually end up stretching our retention for these from 6
months to 1year but I'm not keen.

Phil

University of Northampton