Dear all

I've recently been talking to my Personnel department about retention of
documentation. They have drawn to my attention the Home Office guidance
on documentation for migrant workers.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandspon
sors/pbsguidance/ (and see Appendix D). As I read it this guidance says
that if a migrant worker applies for a post the details of all other
shortlisted applicants (emails, CVs, names, addresses and the helpful
"etc") should be kept for the duration the migrant is sponsored.

I'm told that for us this is likely to be a five year period, and that
many people prefer to then continue with migrant status, so potentially
we are keeping for personal details of people who didn't get a job here
for 10 years, which seems a tad over the top to me.

Has anyone else picked up on this? Are you updating your retention
schedules accordingly? Or are you assuming that the word "guidance" in
the document title is pretty much synonymous with "advice" and ignoring
it?

Many thanks

Sara

Sara Stock