----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Rayner (BU)
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 12:20 PM
Subject: Admitting Inclusionality

Dear All,

I wish you peace and joy in the days ahead!

As I have been reflecting on recent conversations and experiences, aware of a gap that many people seem to feel - or that I seem to notice - between their implicit inclusional feelings/values and explicit rationalistic logic, language and mathematical foundations, the following thought has been recurring to me:

Inclusionality has to be admitted, with deep humility, not declared, with proud presumption.

Without admission, inclusionality cannot begin what I feel to be its healing and transformational work, as all that proud presumption continues to hold sway and get in the way of human understanding.

So, what really needs to be admitted to transform rationalistic proud presumption into inclusional sense and sensibility?

Nothing less, in my mind, than the infinite, receptive openness of space, which incorporates and permeates resistive, responsive substance over all structural scales in natural energy flow.  Space pervades substance, not vice versa. When we look at the 'Torriceli vacuum' above the column of mercury in a barometer tube, our eyes suggest that somehow the glass walls of the tube cut off the 'inner space' of the 'vacuum' from the 'outer space' surrounding the tube. Substance seems to have the power to cut and thereby partition space, and this apparent power is reinforced by the way we 'draw lines' to represent the limiting boundary that divides a 'foreground figure' from its 'spatial background'. It takes some 'pause for inclusional thought' to recognise - to admit - that the figure does not and cannot isolate its inner space from its outer space, because space cannot be cut and is therefore continuous throughout what appears visually to be inside, outside and boundary between.  With this pause, it becomes possible to recognise the 'figure' not as 'all alone', a self-standing entity of substance, but as a 'dynamic configuration of space'.

With the admission of infinite, receptively open space throughout Nature, the upright 'I' self as a stand-alone figure or 'whole' that can be cut into fractional 'parts' is transfigured from a discrete subject/object driven by internal or external local centres of point-force, to a dynamic locality-in-non-locality, a dynamic relational place somewhere as an inclusion of everywhere through its focal point-influence centre.

And with that admission, inclusional logic, language and mathematical foundation is allowed to come in to play its transformational role. What is truly irreducible, the source of quality, not quantity, which renders the paradoxical 'whole' of 'holism' 'more than the sum of its parts' through its 'emergent properties', is the infinite openness that the propositional and dialectic language and logic of discrete 'wholes and parts' denies entrance to in the first place, creating paradox as a way of life.

Warmest

Alan